Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind
Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind is a Government Technical Training Institution, located within Machakos municipality next to National Cereal Produce Board deport off Konza road.
Why study at Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind
Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind serves the needs of the visually impaired in the East and Central Africa region. Notable among our achievements in rehabilitation are 1998 August 7th Nairobi bomb blast survivors and the "Kumi Kumi" illicit brew victims. The Institution offers Rehabilitation and Habilitation program as well as the following technical and vocational courses to both the visually impaired and sighted persons.
Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind was established in 1958 to provide technical craft skills to those maimed by war. It was then sponsored by the Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind and its local partner Kenya Society for the Blind initially to serve only male trainees who were taught orientation and mobility, braille literacy, handicraft, and telephone operation courses.
In 1987, the first female students were admitted, and knitting & garment-making courses were introduced. In 1994 the first integrated Artisan level training was started. In 1997 the Institution was upgraded and renamed Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind becoming the only Technical Training Institution in East & Central Africa offering Kenya National Examination Council (K.N.E.C.) Craft courses for visually impaired persons.