Mechanical Engineering Plant Diploma at Kabete National Polytechnic.
This Mechanical Engineering (Plant) course offered at Kabete National Polytechnic is a 3 years Diploma program accredited by KNEC.
Mechanical Engineering (Plant)
A plant engineer oversees a manufacturing plant's electrical and mechanical systems. Duties range from installation to troubleshooting. Technical skill is a must, but you also need good planning skills, and solid written and oral communication skills to do your job successfully.
This Plant Engineering program is a 3 year KNEC course that aims to impact learners with technical hands-on knowledge in mechanical engineering with more emphasis on plant engineering.
The role of a plant mechanical engineer involves the following duties:
- Designing and implementing equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability
- Investigating and testing ideas to improve existing systems or to overcome machinery problems
- Making parts and installing and testing machinery
- Carrying out maintenance and identifying and repairing faults in equipment
- Solving complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
- Managing projects
- Planning and designing new production processes
- Working with other professionals, within and outside the engineering sector
- Monitoring and commissioning plant and systems.
The role of a plant and mechanical engineer involves the following duties: Designing and implementing equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability. Investigating and testing ideas to improve existing systems or to overcome machinery problems. Making parts and installing and testing machinery.
- Field work is extensive in various capacities such as:
- Plant Assistant Engineer
- Mechanical Technician
- Process Technician
- Plant Maintenance & Operation Technician
- Plant Operator
- General Technician
- Apprentice (Boiler Man & Steam Engineer)
Additional skills which may benefit anyone considering a job as a plant mechanical engineer include:
- Ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools
- Knowledge of engineering science and technology
- Mathematics knowledge
- Design skills and knowledge
- Ability to work well with your hands
- Excellent attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Practical skills for repairing and maintaining equipment.
Mechanical Engineering (Plant) Entry Requirements
- KCSE Mean Grade C- (Minus) or
- Pass in relevant Craft Course or
- Equivalent qualification approved by KNEC.